Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Happy Thanksgiving

I'm not traveling this year so I can't give any advice as to travel. However, I can surely offer my empathy if, like myself, you found yourself needing to go to the grocery store the DAY before Thanksgiving.

Let me assure you, I had a list. Checked it not only twice but three times. I was ready. I had a strategy to "get in and get out."

When I came through the door, I noticed that almost every check-out lane had an actual cashier. PERFECT. Thirty minutes and I'd be back in my car.

So...what's that saying about best laid plans? 

The first sign that there'd be a ripple in my timeframe was the fact that there was no celery where there was supposed to be celery. I kid you not. How...how I ask you, are you to make dressing (or stuffing depending on where you live) without celery? Can it even be done? If it can, this was not the year I wanted to find out such a fact. Anyhoo, I had to wait for the celery to be replenished. No real biggie. I just went on with my shopping.

The second sign that this would be an adventure in patience was the fact that there were only two boxes of unsalted butter where there should be piles of boxes. (Perhaps it's not called a box of butter, but you know, the thing with four separate sticks of butter inside? Yes, that's what I'm referring to). Out of the corner of my eye, I spot a woman and her husband at the top of the aisle. She was reading off her list and clearly said "butter."

I like to think that I'm a gracious person but to be perfectly clear, I needed that butter to bake my million dollar cake. Oh yes, I did. As casually as I could manage, I picked up the two boxes and deposited them in my cart. Then, smoothly executed a U-turn with my cart and left the scene.

The third sign that this would in no way resemble a typical trip to the grocery store? The flour I normally purchase to make said million dollar cake was NOT on the shelf. GASP! I need to bake that cake. I could almost taste the sweet blend of almond and vanilla extract. Was this payback for taking both boxes of butter?

One hour and forty minutes later, I was pushing my cart to the car complete with everything on my list...and a headache.

What wisdom can I impart if you find yourself in the unenviable position of having to stop at a grocery store the day before Thanksgiving?

  • Patience is most definitely a virtue and a necessary addition if your sanity is to be maintained.
  • The store hasn't run out of items. They're simply in the storeroom. Don't be afraid to paste a smile on your face and ask for assistance. 
  • Wear comfortable shoes. I add this because if, like myself, you were coming from work you may have not anticipated being in the store for a length of time.
I hope you enjoy your day with loved ones. I'm off to bake my million dollar cake and I bet that's exactly what'll taste like.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

No comments:

Post a Comment